Monday 20 June 2011

Day 2 of Cannes Lion

The day started very early for me this Monday morning. I jumped on the train from Juan at 8:10 and was at the festival before the doors even opened. My entry assignment (PR) was judged today so my day began with viewing the shortlist exhibitions. I was so interested and impressed with these exhibitions. I took the time to view each thoroughly and had quickly spotted three that I was very intrigued with. I really liked the “Best or Nothing” Mercedes campaign, the “Chocography” campaign and the Coca-Cola “Rush Hour Cinema” campaign. After viewing the exhibitions I went up to the Grand Auditorium and viewed the shortlist screenings for forty-five minutes. Viewing the exhibitions before the screenings helped a lot because I had some knowledge of the campaign’s backgrounds. I really enjoyed viewing these and was late getting to the BBDO seminar because I didn’t want to leave the screenings.
            BBDO was by far my favorite seminar of the day. I was really impressed by their message and the theme of their seminar. They explained that to understand what kind of content is best for a certain medium, we first have to understand the relationship that we share with the medium. He used a TV, PC, mobile, and tablet as examples and exampled our relationships we share with each. My favorite analogy he described was referencing our mobile to our “new lover.” I had never thought about it in that specific way but it was absolutely correct. The content that is best for mobile is one that, like a new love, needs to be highly personal but still surprising. If you provide the content that is relevant to that particular screen you can reach many people. He stated that the reason Old Spice’s campaign is as successful as it is, is because they have the same theme, but its message varies for each medium (TV, PC, mobile, tablet).
            The second seminar I attended was Kraft Foods and I was not expecting the lecture to go the way it did, but it was insightful. The lecture was based around the importance of being first and whether or not we should strive to be first. His message revealed that though we have been raised in a competitive world and first is always best; in the world of creations, being an innovator isn’t as quite as important. The key is to find out what other people have created, take that creation and perfect it. With this tactic it is apparent being first is in fact not the best.
            Leaving the Kraft seminar to grab lunch, I was a little disappointed in my choice of sandwich, but walking into the Microsoft beach club tour I was perfectly satisfied. I was blown away with their set up and the new technologies we got to view. My favorite was the touch table. I am informing my parents of this table as we speak- (maybe an early birthday present?)  It was such a treat to be included in that and I can’t wait for their beach party Wednesday night!
            After such an eventful day I would have to say the highlight was the YouTube beach party. It was at that moment that I realized how cool this festival was and that the Cannes section in the Adland book described exactly what I was experiencing. It was amazing-- the drinks, the view, the networking. It was what I had always hoped it would be and better! I am so glad that that happy hour party takes place each day this week.
            As I stated earlier my entry was PR and the awards ceremony was tonight. I was totally blown away with the glam of the show. I really felt like I was at a Golden Globe awards show. All of the winners had amazing entries and I was so excited when they announced that the “Best or Nothing” Mercedes campaign was the golden lion winner for PR—it had been my favorite from the very beginning. The awards show was so entertaining I am sure I will attend all of them! Can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment