Sunday 26 June 2011

Day 4 of Festival


Meeting Jennifer Frommer from Interscope Records today was a great way to start the day. I am very interested in music and have always wondered what exactly I could do that combined advertising and the music industry and Jennifer Frommer had the answer. Her job is setting up marketing relationships between music artists and brands. Listening to what her days encounter appealed to me and I envisioned myself taking on some job similar to this. Working closely with people like Lady Gaga and Eminem is ideal and having Jimmy Lovine as a boss sounds surreal. (He is the mentor on American Idol for crying out loud!). My whole life I have dreamed of doing something dealing with the music industry, but I was a little worried when she said that her job has ruined music for her. After that comment I felt like maybe I should reconsider my envisioned path. I can’t imagine the thought of being sick of music. Maybe doing an intern first would be good for me, and if I can’t turn the radio on after working hours, I’ll reassess my path. 
After meeting with Mrs. Frommer we grabbed some lunch and headed up to the Majestic hotel to meet with David Simon. In all honesty his session went straight over my head. Mr. Simon, though very intelligent, was a little intimidating with his pessimistic outlook on life. He made a comment about there being no heaven and when we die no one will be mourning. I felt very scared and unsure of what this had to do with advertising or his HBO series.
Leaving the Majestic hotel we headed back over to the festival and Alison Arden, the publisher of Advertising Age, spoke with us. I was in the intro to advertising class this past spring semester and our professor would refer to Advertising Age many times. It was neat to hear what someone who worked there had to say after hearing about Ad Age all semester. She was very personable and explained that her job and her personal life were both happily balanced.
The Microsoft Party was by far my favorite outing on the trip. I have never attended a party where my name was on an attendees list. Arriving to Cirque de Sol performing on the beach just blew my mind and at that moment I felt very important. I still couldn’t believe how gracious the people at Microsoft treated us. The music, the snacks, and the set up—everything was perfect and I couldn’t have imagined a better party. Everyone was having so much fun and dancing to American music only made the party that much better. Around 11:30 a few of us ended up catching a cab home and one of the tour guides of the Microsoft Beach club insisted that he pay for our taxi ride home. He was so kind and I am in the process of sending him a thank you email for being so friendly to us. The Microsoft party is one I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment