Sunday 26 June 2011

Last Day of Festival-- Day 7


After six days of advertising seminars I was on overload from all the information I had consumed. I was exhausted this morning and by the time I woke up the scheduled festival day was coming to a close, but we still had the Film Awards ceremony and hopefully the Closing Gala to look forward to. As I always am each morning, I was starving and was craving something other than the three p’s (pasta, pizza, and paninis).  I wanted McDonald’s! After conversing my cravings to my neighbors, Karly stated that there was a McDonalds in JLP and it wasn’t too far of a walk. She was mistaking!! It was all the way in the next town—remember we are on foot. We walked for about thirty minutes in 100-degree weather and with growling stomachs. Though the walk was torturous the cheeseburger, fries with barbeque sauce and coke quickly made up for it. It was funny because in the states McDonalds wouldn’t be my first choice, but that was the most tasteful meal I had had in a while! I hope there will be a McDonalds in Florence.
When we got back I emailed a delegate that I had met a few days earlier who was from Africa. (My country for the country assignment is Africa). I was hoping I would get a quick response back, but I didn’t and he still has not replied to my email. I really hope he does.
The day went by quickly and before I knew it I was supposed to be leaving in an hour for the awards ceremony. Tonight was the last awards ceremony, which included Filmcraft, Film, Creative Effectiveness, Titanium, and Integrated Lions. I couldn’t quite pull myself together in that amount of time so I decide to catch the 5:40 train. Although Anna had warned us the line would be long outside the festival building I’d figure 5:40 would still allow me enough time to get there before the big crowd came rolling in. I was wrong. The line wrapped around the beach boardwalk with tons of people. I slyly jumped in line with Katie and Jenny, but Tommy and his clan couldn’t quite accomplish the line breaking technique.
I had been to the awards ceremony on Monday for PR, but this one seemed so much more esteemed. The films (commercials) were amazing and after sitting in on all the seminars, private speakers, and master classes I had a new respect for the work and the investments so many put in.  All of the commercials were amazing, creative and effective but my favorite was the Chrysler commercial with Eminem by Weiden + Kennedy Portland. Eminem’s song “Lose Yourself” has such a powerful beat which makes a strong statement for the brand being advertised. I loved it! I think after viewing some of Weiden + Kennedy Portland’s work I would have to agree with the jury by saying they are the best Independent Agency.
Leaving the awards ceremony and jumping on our last train from Cannes to Juan le Pins I felt sad that it was over. I enjoyed not only the week of the festival but this whole study abroad trip and I have to say its been the best experience ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment